Pepperwood leaves for sausages?

markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Pepperwood leaves for sausages?

Post by markjass » Sun Oct 13, 2013 06:22

In New Zealand there is a shrub called a pepperwood, pepper leaf and horopito (Maori name). Its latin name is Pseudowintera colorata. The leafs colours are amazing and very depending on how much sun they get.

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudowintera):

Horopito leaves are used in cooking in a variety of ways. Horopito is now being used as a seasoning in modern New Zealand cuisine. Typically the leaves are dried and then ground to form a powder. The powder may be used wherever black pepper is used and applied directly to meats, mixed with oils, used to make condiments (e.g. with mustard), in vinegars, biscuits and even ice-cream.

It is a very slow growing shrub and so the ground leaves cost a lot to buy (a local outfit charges $6nz for 80 g. I can get 200g of peppercorns for less than that). I have one that has been in my garden for 5+ years and it is about 30 cm high. A friend of mine has a much larger one (1.5m high). They do not like being transplanted and so it will have to come down.I will collect the leaves and may try using them in sausages in a couple of weeks. The leaves have a feel like are like bayleaves. They have a nice bite to them. I have no idea how much I will have to use.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime