Level Of Dextrose In Recipe

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Level Of Dextrose In Recipe

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Dec 17, 2013 19:16

Our fellow member Rick has asked a great question that I believe I ought to share with others. He wrote to me:
CW, If my recipe has no call for sugar, and I'd like to add a culture to my sausage, what percentage of dextrose would I have to add, to feed the culture in order to get the best level of fermentation? Assuming that my holding temp and humidity are good for fermentation formation. For talking purposes, lets assume a 10# batch of sausage.
On another note, I'm trying to locate the member's recipe section of the forum which you so often refer to. I've looked under World Recipes and it doesn't seem to be there either.
I'll bookmark it, since its a hard one to find.

Thanks,
Rick
Hi Rick,
Our Member`s Recipe Index in found in Hyde Park in the "sticky" (important topics) section. There are other important lists and forums there also. Here`s a link to the MRI http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5146

Fresh meat contains very little glucose - only about 0.08 to 0.1% - not enough for lactic acid bacteria to produce any significant amount of acid. Adding sugar is needed to support the acidic producing process and in a fast-fermenting sausage about 0.3 to 1% dextrose (glucose) must be introduced into the mixture to produce enough lactic acid to support the pathogenic bacteria production significantly. In long-term, slow fermented sausages, the amount of sugar added is much smaller, if any at all. Indeed, some of the traditional, long-term, sausages do not require added sugar at all. However, it is generally a good idea to add dextrose up to 1%. If too much is added, a reaction called "charring" may occur as the result of reducing sugars affecting protein. Note that a lower pH is obtained with increasing temperature at the same sugar level.
I really recommend reading "The Art Of Making Fermented Sausages" by Stanley and Adam Marianski. Much of this information is found in chapter 7. Good luck with your product.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D