Sage Advise

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Sage Advise

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Dec 19, 2013 23:43

Don't know if this is the right forum but I'm wondering if anyone can explain the difference between rubbed sage and ground sage. I haven't seen rubbed sage anywhere on a grocery store shelf. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ajwillsnet
User
User

rubbed sage

Post by ajwillsnet » Fri Dec 20, 2013 00:30

Rubbed sage is simply dried sage that is coursley rubbed. Its not easy to find, but bulk food stores would be your best bet. Ground sage on the other hand is a fine powder and is more readily available. I prefer the rubbed version.

Bert
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Dec 20, 2013 01:34

Thanks for that Bert. I'm making a maple-apple breakfast sausage that called for rubbed sage, didn't have any so I'm just using the ground stuff. This effort is a concoction of a few different recipes and I'm not really sure where it's going or how it'll come out. Calls for sheep casings too, I don't have any of those either, I'll just make sausage patties. Thanks again. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Rubbed Sage

Post by Rick » Fri Dec 20, 2013 04:58

Sawhorse, you can obtain Albanian rubbed sage through Penzey's spices. http://www.penzeys.com/
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 06:12

Our buddy Grasshopper up in Minnesota can tell you how much he... uh... "loves" ground sage. How about it Mike? Want to let these guys know a secret? :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Dec 20, 2013 17:47

I can't wait any longer to find out about this secret before starting in on my Mapple Breakfast Sausage project. I had all the dry ingredients measured and mixed last night, along with getting a couple of nine pound picnic going in the Pro 100. I'll take my grinder throat and tray out of my garage freezer and have maple sausage and eggs for brekky in a hour or so. I have no idea what this sausage is going to be like, I'll report back later. RAY
ajwillsnet
User
User

rubbed sage

Post by ajwillsnet » Fri Dec 20, 2013 18:18

You can also make your own rubbed sage. Get some fresh sage and pull off the leaves and place them between two pieces of paper towel and microwave them until they crinkle up. Trial and error on the time it takes. Then remove from the microwave and rub the leaves between your fingers and you have rubbed sage. Then just pick out any stems.

Bert