Food allergies

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Food allergies

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jan 06, 2014 17:06

I just received an email from a friend telling me that she had gone to a holiday dinner at a friend's home. The meat was roast turkey with a savory rub and some of the same spice blend used in the stuffing. This friend is quite sensitive to capsicum. She was fine during the meal, her husband is a very fine chef and couldn't/didn't detect the taste or bite of hot pepper. However by the end of the evening she was having difficulty and spent several hours in the ER at the local hospital. A call to the spice packager revealed chili pepper in the "other spices"
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Jan 07, 2014 14:23

People with food allergies have to be especially careful about what and where they eat. My wifes best buddy had an episode very similar to your friend, her nemesis is shellfish. Her daughter is allergic to peanuts and almost died at a birthday party for some other kid, had to call a ambulance. That family eats out at restaurants about 75% of the time from what I can hear, they have way more than their fair share of food related illness. When you think about folks like us who's passion it is to cook, it really is kind of a blessing. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jan 07, 2014 15:41

Another woman told me that her daughter's shell fish allergy was such that separate pans were used for cooking shellfish. Scrubbing wasn't enough.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Food allergies

Post by el Ducko » Tue Jan 07, 2014 16:05

ssorllih wrote:...she had gone to a holiday dinner at a friend's home... spice blend... husband is a very fine chef and couldn't/didn't detect......having difficulty and spent several hours in the ER at the local hospital...
It's amazing how sensitive people are to the most innocuous-seeming of ingredients. If you had told me, a couple of years ago, that my wife was sensitive to gluten, I would have either laughed or ignored you. ...but it's very true. (You don't want to hear/see the consequences...)

Not even tofu is safe. She's sensitive to soy. What's next... sticks and grass clippings? (Although I admit that it would be cheaper than having a yard service...)(...udderly ridiculous, but that's life for you.)
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.