Post by sawhorseray » Tue Mar 18, 2014 15:38

Chuckwagon wrote:Rabid Duck! :twisted:
I just got this e-mail from a old hunting buddy:

"Today at 7:31 AM
Real nice!
I'm ready to ups u some boned duck meat
Where do i send it?
Or are u coming this way soon?"

Seems some folks shoot ducks! He wants me to make some duck sausage, I keep half for my efforts. I'll check the recipe index now. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Mar 18, 2014 16:33

sawhorseray wrote:
Chuckwagon wrote:Rabid Duck! :twisted:
I just got this e-mail from a old hunting buddy:

"Today at 7:31 AM
Real nice!
I'm ready to ups u some boned duck meat
Where do i send it?
Or are u coming this way soon?"

Seems some folks shoot ducks! He wants me to make some duck sausage, I keep half for my efforts. I'll check the recipe index now. RAY
Add no less than 50% fatty pork and you should have an OK sausage. Lots of work with the duck meat. You have to trim off any bloody parts and cut everything into small pieces looking for pellets or else you will wreck your grinder and worse yet, you will be replacing a tooth!

I just took out 10kg of pepperoni made from goose breasts and pork. Hell of a lot of work! I have 18 lbs of goose left, but after I use it will not want anymore. I also made some spicy duck salami about three weeks ago, but don't know how it will turn out.

Another thing that I learned is to soak the meat overnight in salty water. Seems to draw out excess blood and temper the strong gamey flavour.

Good luck!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 00:00

Red wrote:
Another thing that I learned is to soak the meat overnight in salty water. Seems to draw out excess blood and temper the strong gamey flavour.
Yes, yes, yes... plenty of salt, ice water, and stir in some baking soda. Change the water after 4 hours. It works! :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Mar 19, 2014 06:39

Add no less than 50% fatty pork and you should have an OK sausage. Lots of work with the duck meat. You have to trim off any bloody parts and cut everything into small pieces looking for pellets or else you will wreck your grinder and worse yet, you will be replacing a tooth!

I just took out 10kg of pepperoni made from goose breasts and pork. Hell of a lot of work! I have 18 lbs of goose left, but after I use it will not want anymore. I also made some spicy duck salami about three weeks ago, but don't know how it will turn out.

Another thing that I learned is to soak the meat overnight in salty water. Seems to draw out excess blood and temper the strong gamey flavour. Good luck![/quote]

Thanks Chris, tho I already know, I have one cap from duck and another from pheasant. That's another thing I truly love about wild pigs, it takes a LOT of birds to equal on hog, there should only be one large bullet in a wild pig. Ray
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Mar 19, 2014 15:58

Chuckwagon wrote:Red wrote:
Yes, yes, yes... plenty of salt, ice water, and stir in some baking soda. Change the water after 4 hours. It works! :wink:
Thanks for the baking soda tip CW. I will try that next week. How much baking soda per gallon of water would you recommend?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Mar 19, 2014 17:01

Chris-

If you are making a fermented sausage I would be cautious using baking soda
as it will raise the Ph and is a type of buffering agent.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Mar 19, 2014 18:44

No, I'm looking at making a basic smoked sausage, with 50% pork. Just finished making 10kg of pepperoni, and would like to make something different and just get rid of the stuff. And will do anything to get rid of the swampy odour and taste.
Pete
User
User

Post by Pete » Sat Apr 05, 2014 23:51

In Aus. our duck season is underway so have had some wild ducks to eat
lately after a successful hunt couple of weeks back.

Our family has always soaked whole duck and jointed rabbit in cold salty water
in the refrig. overnight to reduce the bloodiness and game flavour.

Seems to work quite well.

(And the Wire Haired Pointer retrieved a treat - great dog ! :mrgreen: )