Seasoning a roast

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Seasoning a roast

Post by ssorllih » Mon Apr 21, 2014 15:36

Soon after I learned that there were some guidelines for seasoning sausage I started to apply them also to whole meat. I add salt and cure to my bacon and rolled butts at the rate of 2% salt and .25% cure #1. That works out just about right. So I started with split chicken and since I don't want my chicken as salty as bacon I cut the salt back to just a bit over 1% and followed the guidelines for the spices. This worked very well and I followed with fresh pork roasts and yesterday with a boneless leg of lamb. I apply the seasonings two days before roasting giving the seasoning time to settle in and make themselves at home. Company last night said the lamb was the first she had ever had that she didn't want mint jelly on. Everyone went back for seconds.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 22, 2014 09:56

What? You served... mint jelly? Mint Jelly! :shock: What... Mint Jelly? :roll: What kind of a misguided, shave tail owl-hoot, would put mint jelly on good lamb? :mad: That's proof that some irresponsible Monkey-Ward mutton punchin`, mule-eared, on-the-dodge, prairie tenor fell off the quincy and smacked his hat holder on hard cement. Mint jelly on perfectly good lamb? Somebody rattle yer` hocks, find a rope, and build a loop! We`re havin` an eastern Utah necktie party - some porch-perchin' pilgrim went berserk and put green, mint, jelly... (yech!) on the lamb. Some mail-order cowboy with nuthin' under his Stetson but hair. Sheee yucks... he probably couldn't hit the ground with his hat in three throws. Why... the guilty, grab-apple guttersnipe should be shot and then hung! Mint jelly indeed! :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D