Red pepper/paprika powder negative effect on bind

cashmkr2001

Red pepper/paprika powder negative effect on bind

Post by cashmkr2001 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 08:53

Very often when I use red pepper (chorizo for example) this seems to negatively influence the bind. The sausage gets crumbly, fat renders out. It seems to be exclusive to red pepper powder, both mild and spicy. If I make a farce first in which I incorporate the spices, it's not so bad, but if I mix both fatty and lean meats together: every time.

Any idea what causes this?
reddal
User
User

Post by reddal » Sun Oct 15, 2017 17:44

Do you mean Pimenton powder? I've used that a lot - and whilst I've had all kinds of issues with texture over time - not sure I've seen the same thing you are having a problem with. Do you have a photo of the issue?
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Mon Oct 16, 2017 05:30

Crumbly bind can come from vinegar or too much wine in the mix (like the Mexican version, vinegar makes it crumbly). Or it could simply be too much pepper powder by weight.
I think Chris said the max total combined of all powders should not exceed 2%, he can confirm.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Oct 19, 2017 06:54

cashmkr2001, there are many, many causes of a poor bind, but capsicum is probably not the culprit. The first thing we look at the quality and the type of meat used, then next in importance is the amount of salt which is essential in extracting the proteins that bind the meat and fat. The process is also very important, especially temperature, sharp grinder knives and so on.

If you could provide us with your recipe and procedures we might be able to circle in on the problem. Without that info it's near impossible to offer any advice.
cashmkr2001

Post by cashmkr2001 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 08:08

Thanks guys for your thoughts,
First of, it's not the capsicum. I get it with pimenton, sweet paprikapowder, sweet smoked paprika powder and recently had it with kimchi-spices as well. I do not add vinegar or other acidic ingredients to my sausages. I often make 5 or 6 different sausagetypes in one sitting (i give workshops), usually the only type that has binding problems is the type that has paprika. Another example, even at my butchers who has a number of precooked BBQ sausages available last summer: only the chorizotype were the ones that had visual melted fat under the skins.
reddal
User
User

Post by reddal » Thu Oct 19, 2017 08:33

What % of Pimenton do you put in?
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Red pepper

Post by harleykids » Thu Oct 19, 2017 22:09

You want to stay around 1.5% (no more than 2%) by weight for pepper powders.
and 3.5% (no more than 4%) by weight for fresh or preserved/concentrated pepper pastes.

Not so much due to flavor, but due to texture issues if you go over (read crumbly, binding issues, etc)

I usually do 1% hot pimenton powder and 0.5% sweet pimenton powder, or reverse if you want less hot. Sweet pimenton is not really sweet, its is fairly bitter....it is just not as spicy. "Sweet" means not spicy in the case of pimenton.

You can also do .5% smoked paprika, .5% hot pimenton, .5% sweet pimenton. Or any other combo you can think of.