Weekend sausage

Butterbean

Re: Weekend sausage

Post by Butterbean » Thu Nov 12, 2020 15:09

I'll start out by saying, sugars confuse me but I believe you may be confusing sweetness with fermentability. Fermentability of a sugar isn't directly related to our perception of sweetness. Dextrose is a very simple sugar and can be used quickly whereas table sugar is more complex and takes a bit longer for the microbes to break down but in the end they will both yield the same amount of acidity only it may take the table sugar a little longer to achieve this. I think this is why dextrose is recommended so often because it will allow you to reach the acid safety hurdle quicker but this can come at a cost, ie less depth of flavor things like that.

Here is a link to an abstract of some research conducted at Clemson which you might find helpful.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs ... .tb01245.x
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Nov 21, 2020 05:27

jjnurk wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 18:25
Thx Chris. There is definitely a tang but certainly not sour. If fact, apart from the store bought, visual is slightly different but the taste is almost bang on. So I guess what's confusing me, and that's because I don't know enough about this stuff yet, is in an earlier post you stated to add 6-8 gm sugars. By "sugars" I meant all sugars, including dextrose (which is glucose made from corn), sucrose, fructose, maltose, lactose etc. As Butterbean pointed out, the sweetness indicator is not relevant. It's how efficiently the different carbohydrates (sugars) are metabolized by the lactic bacteria in producing lactic acid Dextrose is 20% less sweet so therefore 7.2 - 9.6 gm. Actually both glucose, fructose and sucrose will achieve the lowest pH with very close results, except that glucose and fructose will get there a bit faster. Maltose will be about one third less and lactose about half. From what I understand, if the culture has eaten up its food source, then the "sourness" would stop. Yes, but the lactic bacteria stops producing acid once it reaches a level where the environment is too acidic. In meat meat products it is usually around 4.6 If there is more sweetener and the fermentation stops then the left over sugars don't get used up as a food source and that just becomes a waste. Some of the sugars may also be metabolized by non-fermentative bacteria and the rest will be there as residual sugar which may come through in the flavour.There should be different levels of tanginess if I ferment 24 vs 48 vs 72 hrs. I should be able to control the palatable tang with the length of fermentation time and stop it regardless of the amount of sweetener? Yes if you are going to smoke and heat treat the sausage you can stop the fermentation anytime and put it into the smoker. But the way it works is that the amount of carbohydrate determines the final acidity and the temperature affects the speed of the acidification. Obviously, if there isnt enough sweetener, nothing happens.
redzed wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 16:21
If so, you can use just about any culture, where you will utilize only the fermentative bacteria and not the gram positive bacteria. Ferment at 30C, adding 6-8g of sugar per kg
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Mon Feb 08, 2021 15:07

Well it was an excruciating -40C weekend here in beautiful Regina, so why not make some kaszanka and salceson.
4r4.jpg
I cooked up all the meats in one pot, consisting of pork hocks, heart, side pork, trimmings from a pork butt and at the end threw in a liver. I seasoned the stock with some crushed mustard seeds, bl pepper, garlic, bay leaves and salt. After a few hrs, took out what I wanted for the kaszanka, ground it,
3r3.jpg
and added 750 gm of pearl barley and 750 gm of buckwheat. Total amount of meat was around 3 kg. I cooked the grains in the meat stock, added to the meat and 1 L of blood.
2r2.jpg
For making it the first time and actually eating it the first time, it wasn't too bad. I'm going to have to think about it a bit more if this is something I'll want to be doing in the future :D.
Attachments
1r1.jpg
JjNUrK
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Feb 10, 2021 19:06

Kaszanka looks great! Try it on the grill (once you are out of the deep freeze). :D
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Mon Jan 17, 2022 14:56

After making a pile of my regular sausage before Christmas (300 lbs), thought I would give liverwurst a try. I used 40% pork liver, 40% pork trimmings and 20% pork. There were so many different spice variations out there, so I created my own. After the liver scalding for 3 minutes and the pork slightly cooking, I ground everything through 3 mm and mixed in 2% salt, 0.05% cure, 0.1% allspice, 0.2% marjoram both ground and rubbed, white and black pepper, nutmeg and mace, 10% fried onions in homemade bacon grease and ginger. Put in a pot of 85C for about 45 min however the temp got away from me and went above 100C for a small amount of time but didn't really affect anything. Cooled it in water and hung overnight. I was not disappointed in the flavour one bit. Turned out fantastic !! The only thing I would change is that I would mix it a lot more to get a creamy style vs a chunkier one.
1.png
JjNUrK
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Jan 17, 2022 15:25

Looks great, very similar to the version I make. I actually really prefer the courser version than the creamy Pate type.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Jan 18, 2022 20:44

Daughter's boyfriend wanted to learn how to make sausages and stuff from the deer we've been harvesting so he helped put together this batch the other day. Smoked ham, snack sticks, a tweak of Kielbasa krakowska, smoked bratwurst and smoked jalapeño and Monterey Jack cheese sausage. All but the ham was a mix of venison and pork.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Wed Jan 19, 2022 02:20

What are the great big sausages? and what kind of casing did you use?
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jan 20, 2022 07:26

jjnurk wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 14:56
After making a pile of my regular sausage before Christmas (300 lbs), thought I would give liverwurst a try. I used 40% pork liver, 40% pork trimmings and 20% pork. There were so many different spice variations out there, so I created my own. After the liver scalding for 3 minutes and the pork slightly cooking, I ground everything through 3 mm and mixed in 2% salt, 0.05% cure, 0.1% allspice, 0.2% marjoram both ground and rubbed, white and black pepper, nutmeg and mace, 10% fried onions in homemade bacon grease and ginger. Put in a pot of 85C for about 45 min however the temp got away from me and went above 100C for a small amount of time but didn't really affect anything. Cooled it in water and hung overnight. I was not disappointed in the flavour one bit. Turned out fantastic !! The only thing I would change is that I would mix it a lot more to get a creamy style vs a chunkier one.1.png
Looks very nice! The texture looks like "Kiszka pasztetowa wiejska". To make it smoother add more fat and broth, jowls work very well, and grind it through the smallest die you have three times. Better yet emulsify it. Coincidentally, I made a Kiszka Pasztetowa (Polish liver pate sausage) two days ago. I'll post the recipe and pics in a couple of days when I have some time to write it.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jan 20, 2022 07:30

Butterbean wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 20:44
Daughter's boyfriend wanted to learn how to make sausages and stuff from the deer we've been harvesting so he helped put together this batch the other day. Smoked ham, snack sticks, a tweak of Kielbasa krakowska, smoked bratwurst and smoked jalapeño and Monterey Jack cheese sausage. All but the ham was a mix of venison and pork.
Nice work and a nice supply of sausages and ham. Great to see that you are back at and passing your skills and knowledge to the younger generation.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Feb 13, 2022 01:40

fatboyz wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 02:20
What are the great big sausages? and what kind of casing did you use?
I couldn't tell you what size it is. I lost the label. I have good supply of casings and these were the largest I had. About 7"-8" in diameter I'd guess.