Soy vs Potato vs tapioca binder for hotdog/mortadella

Poivrot Farci

Soy vs Potato vs tapioca binder for hotdog/mortadella

Post by Poivrot Farci » Sat Mar 05, 2022 16:42

Good morning,
I’ve been working furiously and more often miserably, as many already have, trying to prefect the hotdog/mortadella. A plump, firm product that slices well. I have a bowl cutter in a commercial kitchen with vacuum machine, combi oven and every else one would need for charcuterie.
I’ve been basing my lean/fat proportions off a formulation from “Le Livre du Compagnion Charcutier-Traiteur” which has broad strokes, albeit a bit industrial for my tastes. I won’t use phosphates and I now concede that it is not possible to have a final product with so much fat and water without STPP. Their "saucisse de Strasbourg" (hotdog) formulation calls for both STPP and NFDM.

I tried a 50% fat hotdog without binder and the texture when hot was not good at all. Mushy. I now realize the folly of thinking it would work. What fat/water percentage was used in the time before electricity and refrigeration and did they use binders before the 20th century?
In an attempt at redemption, I’ve lowered the fat content from 50% down to 33% and the ice from 20% down to 10%. Of the 10% liquid I add 5% frozen egg white for added protein. I use arrowroot as a binder for my boudin blanc, but I have come to learn that arrowroot doesn’t have the binding properties of tapioca at high temperature and eventually break down. Tastes good but they don’t have the snap and firmness. Got to reformulate. So, for hotdog/mortadella:
3000g lean beef/pork
1000g suet/fatback
200g ice
200g egg white
66g salt (1.5%)
11g #1 (.25%)
120g arrowroot (3%)
spices, etc...

Ranking the effectiveness of binders that will allow me to have a firm, finished product with 25-30% fat (we raise our own pigs and beef and prefer to add as much fat as we reasonably can) and 10% water or less, how do they compare? I prefer to use an organic product if available and one that has no allergens.

-As best I can decipher, soy protein concentrate is gluten free and provides the best binding.
-NFDM has very good binding properties but still has lactose, an allergen, and consumers don’t really expect to see dairy on a hotdog/mortadella label and they start thinking the product isn’t as pure or natural.
-Potato starch, which I can get organic, seems to be used often in beef hotdogs and has similar gelling and pasting temperature to tapioca http://www.globalsciencebooks.info/Onli ... 2-108o.pdf, which I can also get organic and doesn’t freak out the purists as much as soy and NFDM.

Does anyone have any practical experience with potato and tapioca starch, how they compare to soy concentrate and in what percentages should I consider?

Thank you.
tolbertwa

Re: Soy vs Potato vs tapioca binder for hotdog/mortadella

Post by tolbertwa » Sun Jul 10, 2022 19:58

Hi Poivrot, I see that nobody has responded so I wonder if you just gone on and did it and gotten some results to share.
fordtruckbeast
User
User

Re: Soy vs Potato vs tapioca binder for hotdog/mortadella

Post by fordtruckbeast » Sun Aug 07, 2022 07:46

İ would drop the binders. increase the salt alittle to around 1.8 percent