[AUSL] Duck Neck Sausage

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Oct 28, 2011 13:34

I think that i know what I shall do with the neck skin on the next turkey i get. Get out my large curved needles and sew the skin back into a tube and stuff it.
Chuckwagon I know that you scorn chicken fat but it is also pretty good for pie pastry especially for pot pies. Has to be treated just as i said for goose fat, cold fat and very cold flour.
Ross- tightwad home cook
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Fri Oct 28, 2011 13:38

ssorllih wrote:seems like gilding the lily to me. The duck neck sausage doesn't need any help from my point of view.
You sir, are a gentleman.....
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Pastry

Post by snagman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 01:22

So, Ross,
This is the pie using the recipe you posted. I think it is probably the best pie I have ever made, light, crumbly pastry, perfect in partnership with the apple filling. Quite a short pastry, tricky to work with, but it is, from now on the only short pastry worth making. Thanks for the excellent recipe.
Regards, Gus

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Oct 30, 2011 01:43

That's incredible! Way to go guys. Just incredible.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Oct 30, 2011 01:54

very nice work ! now would you please pass me a napkin so that I can wipe the drool off my chin. ;)
Chicken fat is a distant second and lard comes in after that. Store bought shortening never makes it off the store shelf for me. . I even made a pie crust with a mix of lard and beef fat. It was very good but such a pain to work. I wasn't sure what it was but it was what I had.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Oct 30, 2011 02:23

Snagman,

That Pie crust looks fantastic, better than I've ever made. I'm going to try this as well.

The Apple Pie filling also looks very inviting, are there some raisins in there as well?

Would you mind sharing your Pie filling please? :grin:

Apple Pie and Choclate Cake are my alltime best cakes.
Ron
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 08:19

ssorllih wrote:very nice work ! now would you please pass me a napkin so that I can wipe the drool off my chin. ;)
Chicken fat is a distant second and lard comes in after that. Store bought shortening never makes it off the store shelf for me. . I even made a pie crust with a mix of lard and beef fat. It was very good but such a pain to work. I wasn't sure what it was but it was what I had.
Ross, thanks for your comments ! I have never bought the frozen stuff from the supermarket, but it wouldn't be a distant patch on this one !
Regards, Gus
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 08:25

Bubba wrote:Snagman,

That Pie crust looks fantastic, better than I've ever made. I'm going to try this as well.

The Apple Pie filling also looks very inviting, are there some raisins in there as well?

Would you mind sharing your Pie filling please? :grin:

Apple Pie and Choclate Cake are my alltime best cakes.
Thank you Bubba, for the kind comments. For the size of that shallow dish, 8", I used five small tart apples, sliced thinly, a handful of sultanas, a pinch of cinnamon and a shake of cloves, a very small shake of nutmeg, two tablespoons of brown sugar, the zest of half a lemon. This was allowed to steep for an hour before loading into the pie. A lightly sugared whipped cream accompaniment and a glass (or two ) of cognac to follow ended the night in fine fashion.........
Regards,
Gus
PS I took the kassler from the smoker yesterday (your recipe) do't know how it is yet.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Oct 30, 2011 13:46

Hi Snagman,

I look forward to hearing about the Kassler, I think your low temperature smoker is much more ideal than mine, so it will be interesting to see.

Also thank you for the Apple Pie ingredients, I'm going to look for Duck fat for the Pie crust today, if I can't find it around here I will surely find it in Atlanta when I visit there in a week or two.
Ron
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Sun Oct 30, 2011 14:35

Add a touch of vinegar to the cold water for the dough for even more flakiness.
Dick

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Oct 30, 2011 15:46

We always add a bit of flour to thicken the juices and some butter just because it tastes good.
Ross- tightwad home cook
vagreys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by vagreys » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:08

This is very interesting. In one of the manuscripts I've been studying, there is an index entry to a recipe for Catalan sausage made with chicken neck skins. The original recipe was written down around 1324. Around 1370, a copy was made of the original manuscript, and there is an index entry in the copy for the sausage recipe, however the recipe was never actually copied. The original is lost to us, and the recipe with it. All we know is that the recipe existed. I've been chasing this for over 25 years, and hints as to what it might have been like, such as this recipe for another neck skin sausage, are tantalizing clues. Thanks for this thread. Lots of fun!
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.