natural or collagen casings

crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

natural or collagen casings

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 07:22

Hi Members,
When I went to the butcher to buy some natural sheep casings for my planned frankfurt making session I was told that he no longer uses them. Too flipping expensive according to him.
He now uses Nitta collagen casings. Is there a big difference if I use them for frankfurts as I still like the snap that the original sheep casings have.
Regards,
Jan.
Swallow
User
User

Post by Swallow » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:24

Personally I can't stand collagen casings. My local butcher has switched over to using plastic casings, because as he says many of his customers are getting picky and no longer want the natural casings, I guess they are the stupid ones. He says that the new plastic casings are permeable to smoke so thats what he is using. Like I want hot plastic next to my meat even if it is approved by the FDA or any other federally appointed crock of bullshit artists.

And as me ole Granddaddy used to say "It takes a man with real guts to make real good sausage". Mind you he also said that "if god had wanted man to stuff meat into plastic he would have given man inflatable sex toys" ok so he wasn't right all of the time, but on sausage I think that he was spot om.

Swallow
Retirement is easy , but Yuh really have to work at it sometimes.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:27

For me the collagen casings are much tougher to chew and i prefer natural but collagen casings are much easier to use and are very forgiving if you over stuff. I have heard people say that they will soak the sausage in cold water after the bloom period to soften them up and peel them off.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Fri Mar 02, 2012 15:04

Collagen was originally designed to be used on heavier sausages, due to their ability to support heavier weights. I agree with the rest. Can't imagine eating hot dogs with that tough casing.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 08:07

Hi,
The only way I can get small sheep casings is by spending $ 180.00 at the wholesalers.
I might go on a casing hunt again. Most butchers won't talk to me as I am not a customer of them but trying I will.
I am not keen on buying 10 kilometers of natural casings.
Swallow, Grandfathers are always right, I am one myself. Never knew both of mine.
Regards,
Jan
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Sat Mar 03, 2012 09:50

Swallow wrote:Personally I can't stand collagen casings
Second that Swallow ! Disgusting to look at, and to eat. Used by lazy butchers here for the convenience. Lucky for we home sausage makers, we have a choice !