Cotto Salami

Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Cotto Salami

Post by Tom » Fri Dec 04, 2015 17:19

I'm looking for a cotto salami recipe that is similar to the taste of the type you buy from the local deli. I just finished and tasted my rendition and I'm not happy with the taste or texture. The texture is similar to the bologna I made, a bit dry even though there was plenty of fat in the recipe. That may not be a texture thing as the bologna and salami looked and cut nicely. The bologna had excellent taste however. The salami not so tasty. So I would like to start again with a salami recipe that someone here can vouch for. Tom
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Dec 04, 2015 19:39

Take a look at this recipe. http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=7692 It's with turkey and pork but the original recipe is with pork only. It would also work well with 20% beef. Very mild and pleasant tasting product. If you like a bit of tang you can ferment it with a fast acting starter or DGL.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Dec 04, 2015 20:40

There are a few more Cotto Salami recipes here: http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recip ... UT%20SMOKE

I have made the "American" version and it is very good.

How did you end up cooking it, over heating or cooking too fast will adversely affect the texture.
Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tom » Fri Dec 04, 2015 20:53

Bob K I cooked it the oven at 185 degree F. It called for between 180 and 190 degrees. It took a long time, approx. 10 plus hours plus and it was room temp when I put it in. Recipe said cook till 165 degrees. Funny the poach called to cook it to 155 degree and the smoker cook, without smoke also to 155 degrees. This is for the same recipe go figure. The last two also called for cooling it to 100 degrees in cold water but not the first option. Just a learning curve I guess. I checked the web site you listed and that's the recipe I followed, well mostly. I didn't have any TVP so I used Quinoa and the European version called for some red wine so I added that also. The wine made it easier to mix. Personally I thing it was the quinoa that gives it the off taste. Should know better than fool with recipes. Tom