Elephant Garlic Sausage

redzed

Elephant Garlic Sausage

Post by redzed » Mon Aug 31, 2020 04:40

This season I had an abundance of elephant garlic from my garden. Not a true garlic, elephant garlic is actually a type of a leek. But it looks like a garlic on steroids and has a milder, less astringent flavour than regular garlic. Once cooked, it has a sweet and mild garlicky flavour. It works well in soups, pasta and with fish. For quite some time it’s been on my mind to commingle it into a sausage, and finally I made a small amount to see what the result would be. I made an American style breakfast sausage and replaced the regular garlic in the recipe with elephant garlic. Because I wanted the elephant garlic to be at the forefront of the flavour panel, I added 25g/kg, about five or six times the amount of regular garlic that is most often added to sausage. That amount turned out to be just right, resulting in a flavourful, juicy and aromatic sausage. You can cook it any way you like, fry, grill, poach, or incorporate into a variety of dishes.

Image Image

Elephant Garlic Sausage

Meats
Pork picnic, approx 20 – 25% fat, trimmed of connective tissue.

Ingredients for 1kg of meat block
Non iodized salt, 14g
White pepper, medium grind, 2g
Quatre épices, 2g
Red pepper flakes, 1g
Dried thyme, 0.5g
Fresh sage, chopped, 2tbs
Fresh elephant garlic, 25g
Soy concentrate, 2g
Iced water, 75ml

Instructions
1. Chill cubed meat to near freezing temp.
2. Grind with 7mm plate
3. Mix thoroughly, gradually adding the spices and water
4. Stuff into hog or sheep casings
5. Rest in the fridge over night or for several hours so that the flavours come into harmony.
6. Freeze sausage if not consuming within two days.
cheztodd

Re: Elephant Garlic Sausage

Post by cheztodd » Sun Dec 20, 2020 04:09

Looks great redzed! ive been making all kinds of fresh and smoked sausages for 30 years! dry curing is my new love. Im the green horn you commented on my salumi questions. thanks again for any feedback!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Dec 20, 2020 15:55

As usual looks top notch! That seems like a small amount of soy protein if used as a binder, what is its purpose in the recipe?
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Dec 20, 2020 18:13

Bob K wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 15:55
As usual looks top notch! That seems like a small amount of soy protein if used as a binder, what is its purpose in the recipe?
Actually I find that adding 2 or 3 grams of soy protein or non fat dry milk powder (not the instant type) does make a difference in the bind. Adding more would make it a filler rather than a binder. I don't always use the stuff but at times it's good to have it on hand. Yesterday I made an emulsified frankfurter style sausage and while I have added NFDM to similar sausages in the past, I didn't this time. Its in the smoker right now, so we'll see how it turns out.
LinkMeAllOver
Beginner
Beginner

Post by LinkMeAllOver » Sun Dec 20, 2020 19:06

Oh, man, I clicked thinking "Holy cow! How did he get elephant meat, and I wonder what THAT sausage tastes like??" :lol:
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Dec 20, 2020 19:18

LinkMeAllOver wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 19:06
Oh, man, I clicked thinking "Holy cow! How did he get elephant meat, and I wonder what THAT sausage tastes like??"

That is funny! :D