Hoping for some bear for sausage!

fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Hoping for some bear for sausage!

Post by fatboyz » Wed Apr 21, 2021 14:41

Because we can't travel this year our holiday time has built up. We need to use up 2 weeks or my wife loses hers so we're packing up our adventure truck and 4 wheeler and heading out spring bear hunting for 2 weeks. I prefer fall bear but if I can find a young one it should make some good sausage. I think my smoked paprika, chili cheese smokie recipe would work well. Steven Rinella has made some nice sausage with the back fat too. Need to only make fully cooked products as Trichinosis is common in bears.
Still chilly up here and will likely have a bit of snow showers at times but we have a tiny little wood stove in the truck too.
redzed

Re: Hoping for some bear for sausage!

Post by redzed » Wed Apr 21, 2021 17:10

Good luck on the hunt. I've always wanted to make some bear sausage. No shortage of black bears around here. We see them often on the sides of roads and last fall I almost bumped into one when picking mushrooms. Fortunately he wasn't hungry.
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Wed Apr 21, 2021 20:40

Nice looking unit you got there. I never hunted bear although they are everywhere up herr. I was always a little Leary of trichinosis. Good luck!
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Apr 21, 2021 22:44

Albertaed wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 20:40
Nice looking unit you got there. I never hunted bear although they are everywhere up herr. I was always a little Leary of trichinosis. Good luck!
And with bear meat you should be. Always fully cook bear meat before consuming. No jerky or salami!
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Thu Apr 22, 2021 01:16

redzed wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 22:44
Albertaed wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 20:40
And with bear meat you should be. Always fully cook bear meat before consuming. No jerky or salami!
Nope no Genoa! Maybe some Bear Hotdogs and Brats though!
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sun May 09, 2021 12:59

Well We spent 13 days camping in an area of our province we hadn't been. We were a little early for bear in the area we were in. It was just starting to green up when we had to leave. Left yesterday in a snow storm. Found a new place to go hunting in the fall though, and my bear License is still valid then so maybe a nice fat fall blueberry bear will be in the cards. On the bright side my wife and I had a very relaxing 2 week camping trip!
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Sun May 09, 2021 21:46

They are just coming out in the open now. You’ll get one on the fall