Kielbasa Grillowa - Polish Style Grilling Sausage

redzed

Kielbasa Grillowa - Polish Style Grilling Sausage

Post by redzed » Tue Aug 24, 2021 15:52

Kiełbasa Grillowa - Polish Style Grilling Sausage

Image Image
Sorry to disappoint some of you, but this is not a hack of the "Polish" hot dog sold at Costco. Actually the Costco "Polish" sausage is not too bad, other than being on the salty side. I grab one now and then when I'm there for added energy so that I can push my loaded wagon up to the car. However, that sausage has no resemblance whatsoever to anything that is on the long list of Polish sausages. It's a marketing thing because anything called "Polish" must be good. If you want something more authentic to throw into your bun, here is a recipe for the real deal. Kiełbasa Grillowa – Polish Style Grilling Sausage.

This is a sausage formulated specifically for the grill. Made in the traditional Polish way, it is only partially cooked and needs to be fully cooked on the grill. Sausage prepared this way is moist and better tasting. When you grill kielbasa that has been already cooked to temperature, it results in a rubbery and dry product. As long as you don't over cook it, this kiełbasa will be dripping with heavenly juices and flavour.

Recipe for 1kg of meat
Pork, Class I, (picnic and loin) no connective tissue, very little fat, 450g
Pork, Class II, (picnic) 35-45% fat, 450g
Pork Class III, (hock) rich with connective tissue, no fat, 100g
Ingredients
Salt, 16
Cure #1, 1.5g
Pepper, medium grind, 3g
Fresh garlic, 6g
Marjoram, 1.5g
Sweet Hungarian paprika, 2g
Ground mustard, 2g
100ml. iced water
Processing Instructions
1. Cube the pork, keeping the different classes of meats separate. Add the salt and Cure #1 to the cubed meat, mix well, pack into a container, cover, and refrigerate for 48 hours
2. Grind Class I pork through 12mm plate, the Class II pork through 7mm plate and class III pork twice through the 3mm plate. Make sure the meat stays very cold. Placing in the meat in the freezer between the grinding may be necessary.
3. Combine meats and the rest of the ingredients. Mix thoroughly, adding the water gradually.
5. Stuff into 32 – 40mm. hog casings. Twist into neat and uniform 13cm links.
6. Set the sausage overnight in fridge or two hours at room temperature.
7. Preheat your smoker to 70C, let it cool, and load your sausage into it. Open top and bottom dampers wide and warm sausage at 42C for one hour. Smoke at 55-58C until you achieve a good colour, 2 to 3 hours. Rearrange the sticks mid way through the smoke.
8. Cool with water and hang the sausage to dry.
9. Sausage is now prep cooked but not safe to consume. Cook the sausage on the grill over medium heat. It will be ready when the internal temp. Reaches 68C. Be careful not to overcook the sausage by bringing the internal temp over 77C. Sausage that is overcooked can be dry and flavourless. You can use your favourite barbecue sauce on the sausage.

Smacznego!
Bob K

Re: Kielbasa Grillowa - Polish Style Grilling Sausage

Post by Bob K » Tue Aug 24, 2021 16:36

Looks tasty. Have you tried it in patty form?
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Wed Aug 25, 2021 14:18

redzed wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 15:52
Pork Class III, (hock) rich with connective tissue, no fat, 100g
Hey Chris, did you use any skin from the hock on this one? Looks tasty, think I'm gonna try it.
JjNUrK
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Sep 04, 2021 15:52

Sorry I missed your question Joe. I didn't add skins to this sausage, but you certainly could. Don't over do it however, and stick to no more than 5-6% of the meat block. On the same day that I made the Polish grilling sausage I made bratwurst and added skins.