The Wurst day of the week!

fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

The Wurst day of the week!

Post by fatboyz » Sun Dec 12, 2021 01:33

Seems like I'm the only one busy is the sausage cave, or at least the only one posting. My last batch of headcheese was such a hit with my folks that I had to make another batch. Had a head, hocks and riblet bones from a hog I butchered earlier plus some extra hocks I had. My mom said she likes this one so much she isn't making hers anymore! Also made a batch of my venison liverwurst (couple posts about it from past years) and also a batch of venison Pfefferknackers. They are a fermented snack stick in a 19mm collagen casing. My friend who used to have a little sausage shop (Covid and costco unfortunately took their toll and he had to close) had base spice mixes he brought in from Germany, and this is one. It's similar to Landjaeger but no caraway. You use 20g of the premixed spice, 18g of salt and 2.5g os cure#1, starter culture and a little red wine. I had a whole turkey cooker full of hog parts. The 3- 100mm headcheese are in the poaching tank right now.
Another busy day but will have some nice treats for Christmas.
redzed

Re: The Wurst day of the week!

Post by redzed » Mon Dec 13, 2021 19:01

Looks like you have enough work there to stay out of trouble. I'd be interested in seeing how the phefferknackers turned out. My projects for this week is a kielbasa wiejska, a Polish farmer sausage and a venison kolbasz.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Dec 13, 2021 20:33

The Pfefferknacker fermented for 1 day then cold smoked all day yesterday. This mix has some GDL in it so the PH drops pretty quick. They will dry this week and should be ready to package on the weekend. I had one last night right out of the smoker and they were very tasty. I will post a pic when they're done. This was one of my friends most popular products. He couldn't actually make enough to keep up. Sadly it was one of the few products that were in demand. Too many people could get better prices at Costco for sausage and didn't really apreciate the taste of true Artisan sausages. Not enough Europeans in our area for him to make a go of it.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Dec 13, 2021 20:36

I still need to make Venison Bratwurst, Wiesswurst and Smoked paprika, Jalapeno chili cheese smokies before Christmas!
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Thu Dec 16, 2021 05:02

redzed wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 19:01
Looks like you have enough work there to stay out of trouble. I'd be interested in seeing how the phefferknackers turned out. My projects for this week is a kielbasa wiejska, a Polish farmer sausage and a venison kolbasz.
Here you go. Pfefferknacker and the Landjaeger are done.