Kiełbasa Paprykowa z Jeleniną – Venison Paprika Sausage

redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jan 16, 2022 08:39

This is a sausage recipe for all you hunter/sausage makers. Based on the traditional Polish “kiełbasa paprykowa”, it incorporates venison and because the main ingredients are paprika, caraway and garlic, it very much resembles a Hungarian “venison kolbasz” When making this sausage you can adjust the spices and salt to your liking, but please adhere meat classification, the 3 different grinds and pre-curing for 48-72 hours.

Meats
Venison, lean (Class I) 400g meat from picnic shoulder and loin
Pork, approx 35-40% fat (Class IIb) 450g meat from picnic shoulder and butt
Venison with connective tissue (Class III) 150g meat from shanks and shoulder.
Ingredients per 1 kg of meat
Salt 17g
Cure #1 2g
Pepper 2.0g, medium grind
Fresh garlic 5g
Caraway 2g
Juniper berries 1.5g, fine grind
Iced water 100ml
Instructions
1. Cube all meats in 3-4cm pieces, keeping the different classes separate.
2. Add the salt and Cure #1 to the meats, distribute well, keep all classes desperate, place in a covered container and transfer to a fridge for 48-72 hours.
3. Grind: lean venison (Class I) – 10mm plate; fat pork (Class II) - 8 mm; Venison rich connective tissue (Class III) - 3 mm plate, two times.
4. Thoroughly mix spices with the Class III venison adding 30% of the ice cold water. This will be the glue that binds everything together.
5. Combine the 3 classes of meats and mix well, adding the balance of the water gradually until a very sticky consistency is achieved.
6. Stuff into 35-40mm hog casings. Form 8-10" (20-24) cm links.
7. Hang for 12 hours at 2-6° C (35-43° F) or for 2-3 hours at room temperature.
8. Smoke for 2.5 to 2 hours at 57-60C (135-140F) then for 1hour at 150-155. Reposition the sticks a couple of times during the smoking to make sure that the sausages taken on colour evenly.
9. Poach the sausages in water at a temp of 75-80C (168-175F) until the internal temp reaches 72C (162F)
9. Cool sausages with cool water, hang to to bloom at room temp for a couple of hours to bloom and refrigerate.
Smacznego!
If you are interested in making traditional Polish sausages, join the Polish Sausage Club. https://www.facebook.com/groups/564056007388967
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Re: Kiełbasa Paprykowa z Jeleniną – Venison Paprika Sausage

Post by fatboyz » Sun Jan 16, 2022 16:06

Looks great Chris. I have a pile of venison for sausage as I just shot a cow elk in a late season hunt. THe elk is much nicer for steaks and roasts so all the venison steaks and roasts will be going to sausage!