Kielbasa Nadwieprzańska – Wieprz River Sausage

redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jul 16, 2022 17:44

This is a sausage that has been on my “to do” list for quite some time. Kiełbasa Nadwieprzańska is a relatively new sausage being made only since 1968 in the town of Baranów in the Lublin Voivodship. It was first made and served in a restaurant by the name of “Nadwieprzanka”. Baranów is on the Wieprz River and hence the name. The kiełbasa earned a reputation for its flavour and high quality, and has the distinction of being on the list of traditional meat products in the Lublin Voivodship. My connection here is that my mother was born in a village on the Wieprz River and my ancestors have lived there for generations. I remember visiting as a young boy and joining my cousins in taking cattle to pastures along the banks of the river. The recipe here is not exact or official. It was formulated from visual examination and taste tests by Andrzej Piątek, Chief Technologist and Instructor with the Wędzarnicza Brać (Smokehouse Brotherhood). I am grateful for his help. If you read Polish, there is a thread on the subject on the Wedliny Domowe Forum https://wedlinydomowe.pl/.../14803-kie%C5%82basa.../. Kiełbasa Nadwieprzańska is cured, smoked, poached and then dried for a few days. The genuine product is made from local pigs raised by contract for the producer. My version was made with good quality, fresh pork and probably the same ingredients. It has that classic smoked aroma, soft mouthfeel and firm texture. A classic Polish kiełbasa.
Originally posted in the FB group Polish Sausage Club https://www.facebook.com/groups/564056007388967

Meats
Pork, Class I, from ham, 50%
Pork, Class II, from ham and picnic, 40%
Pork, Class III, from hocks, 10%.
Ingredients for 1 kg
Non-iodized salt, 16g
Cure #1, 2g
Black pepper, 2g
Fresh garlic, 4g
Ground all spice, 0.3g
Nutmeg, 0.3g
75 - 100ml ice water
Instructions
1. Cube all meats in 3-4cm pieces, keeping the different classes separate.
2. Add the salt and Cure #1 to the meats, mix distribute well, place in a covered container and transfer to a fridge for 48-72 hours.
3. Grind: Class I pork - 12 mm; Class II pork - 7 mm; Class III - 3 mm plate, two times.
4. Thoroughly mix spices with the Class III pork adding 30% of the ice cold water. This will be the glue that binds everything together.
5. Combine the 3 classes of meats and mix well, adding the balance of the water gradually until a very sticky consistency is achieved.
6. Stuff into 32mm hog casings. Form 10-12inch (25-28cm) links.
7. Hang for 12 hours at 2-6° C (35-43° F) or for 2-3 hours at room temperature.
8. Smoke for 3 hours at 57-60C (135-140F), reposition stick at half time so that the sausage smokes evenly.
9. Poach sausages in 175F (80C) water until internal temp of 154F (68C) is reached.
Smacznego!
fullysideways
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Kielbasa Nadwieprzańska – Wieprz River Sausage

Post by fullysideways » Sun Jul 17, 2022 00:25

That sounds and looks amazing!
michi
User
User

Re: Kielbasa Nadwieprzańska – Wieprz River Sausage

Post by michi » Mon Jul 18, 2022 00:25

I imagine that this is typically eaten as is, without frying?