Kiełbasa Śląska - Silesian Sausage

redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Feb 12, 2023 05:07

Kielbasa Sląska is a very well known and established Polish sausage. It's very popular and available from large and small producers in Poland and abroad. Śląska is a smaller diameter sausage, lightly smoked, and with a mild and delicate flavour. It's delicious hot or cold, can be served hot dog style in a bun, grilled or added to any dish calling for smoked sausage. I like to grab one and eat it as is for a snack. You can make it from the various parts of the carcass, but it's important to divide the meat into classes and grind through three different sized plates. That way the kiełbasa will have the proper texture and mouth feel. If you have never made or tried this classic sausage, it's time you did. The recipe here is from the 1959 Polish government publication PRZEPISY WEWNETRZNE PRZEMYSŁU MIĘSNEGO 16. I did, however, make a small change in the formulation by adding 1g paprika per 1kg of meats.

Recipe for 1kg
Meats

Class I pork, 35%
Class 2 pork 40%
Class 3 pork 25%
Ingredients
Non iodized salt 16g
Cure #1 2g
Pepper 3.0g
Fresh garlic 3g
Coriander 1g
Sweet paprika 1g
Iced water 100ml
Instructions
1. Classify and cube the pork into 3-5cm (1-2”) pieces, depending on the size of your grinder.
2. Keep the 3 classes of meat separate, add the salt and Cure #1, distribute well, place in a covered container and transfer to a fridge for 48-72 hours. Don't skip this step! Pre-curing the meats will result in a nicer grind and a better tasting sausage.
3. Grind Class 1 pork with a coarse plate, 12mm, Class 2 with 8mm and Class 3 two times with 3mm.
4. Add the spices and half of the total amount of water to the finely ground Class 3 meat. Mix well until you achieve a good emulsion like mixture. Make sure that the meat is well chilled and the water is iced when doing this step. This mixture will be the natural binder keeping all the classes of meat together..
5. Stuff into 28-32 hog casings. Form 12-14cm (5-6”) links.
6. Condition/dry stuffed sausages at room temp for 2 hours.
7. Dry in a preheated smoker for 45-60 min at around 45C (115F), making certain that there are no dew drops on the links.
8. Smoke for 2 hours at 57-60C (135-140F). If the sausage has not reached full colour, smoke a bit longer, but don't over do it. This is a lightly smoked kiełbasa.
9. Immediately after smoking, poach in 80C(175F) water until the internal reaches 68C(154F).
9. Cool with water, hang for a couple of hours at room temp and refrigerate.

Recipe originally posted in the group Polish Sausage Club https://www.facebook.com/groups/564056007388967
Butterbean

Re: Kiełbasa Śląska - Silesian Sausage

Post by Butterbean » Sun Feb 12, 2023 20:42

Looks good. I'll try and remember to make this. I can tell from the recipe and process it is sure to be top shelf. The importance of pre-curing and keeping the meat classes separate just cannot be over emphasized.
Stinnerfest

Post by Stinnerfest » Tue Feb 14, 2023 02:18

I hate to ask a stupid question🥴, I don’t know the breakdown of the 3 classes of pork.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Mon Feb 27, 2023 20:32

Stinnerfest wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 02:18
I hate to ask a stupid question🥴, I don’t know the breakdown of the 3 classes of pork.
https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... on/classes
bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bolepa » Wed Mar 01, 2023 04:38

Thanks for sharing, redzed.... Another great sausage recipe to try....