SAUSAGE PHOTO GALLERY (Without Original Recipes)

Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Wed Apr 09, 2014 02:35

redzed wrote:
Gray Goat wrote:I know this is an old post Red, but would you care to share the recipe ?
Hey, I'd be happy to. but which recipe? :shock: :???:

Sorry about that Red, things got moved around on me (at least that's my excuse :lol: )

You made a post of your sausage which contained pork loin and was very lean, but I can't remember where I saw it :roll:
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Apr 09, 2014 03:43

I've made pork loin sausage (kiełbasa polędwicowa)a few times. The 1950's Polish government recipe is here http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... in-sausage
Very much like Krakowska but made with cubed pork loin rather than ham. I add a small amount of garlic to it as well, being careful so that it does not dominate. The old commercial recipe calls for large cubes of meat, 4 x 4cm. That sometimes is hard to handle with small stuffers, so you could cube the meat to half of that. It is a light and delicate sausage meant to be eaten cold.
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Wed Apr 09, 2014 03:54

redzed wrote:I've made pork loin sausage (kiełbasa polędwicowa)a few times. The 1950's Polish government recipe is here http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... in-sausage
Very much like Krakowska but made with cubed pork loin rather than ham. I add a small amount of garlic to it as well, being careful so that it does not dominate. The old commercial recipe calls for large cubes of meat, 4 x 4cm. That sometimes is hard to handle with small stuffers, so you could cube the meat to half of that. It is a light and delicate sausage meant to be eaten cold.
Thank you sir :grin:
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Snack sticks I made this weekend

Post by Blackriver » Mon Apr 14, 2014 23:53

I made some snack sticks this weekend using a pre mixed seasoning mix from PS seasonings. I tried using natural sheep casings this time and was very pleased with the results. I got my casings from Syracuse casing company and the hank was divided into sleeves and was pre flushed. All I had to do was rinse the salt off and soak them in luke warm water for 10 minutes then slide the sleeve over the horn and pull the plastic out, simple! They are also a wonderful company to deal with. I smoked these for about 2.5 hours gradually bringing the temp up to 170 degrees. I then finished them in a hot water bath. They turned out great but not much smoke flavor. One question, if you finish sticks or any sausage in a hot water bath do you lose smoke flavor?
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 00:22

I had the same problem and since than I never give them a hot water bath anymore and solved the "not much smoke flavour". I do the same with my smoked csabai.
Cheers,
Jan.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Apr 15, 2014 00:47

"not much smoke flavour".

I think that's the trade-off of the hot water bath. You get a much softer texture and bite but lose some of the crunch and smoky flavor. I got a couple of packs of sheep casings about a month back from PSS but I'm somewhat hesitant to use them with my vertical stuffer to make snack sticks. I've heard there's a lot more pressure on the stuffer gears with the smaller casings, I use the electric motor with foot-pedal to stuff, so I'd have no real "feel" if I were damaging my setup. I'll make a stab at the snack sticks stuffing right out of my grinder to avoid any problems. I love the nice red color you achieved in those sticks BR, I'm going to keep mine in the smoker until completion. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Apr 15, 2014 01:15

Ray I made a mistake of adding twice as much water to a sausage recipe as was called for but it worked and mixed into the mince. It was very easy to push into the casings.
I tend to think that the water is added to help with the mixing and with emulsified sausage we add quite a bit of water in the form of ice.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Apr 15, 2014 04:57

ssorllih wrote:It was very easy to push into the casings
What diameter of potatoes did you use Ross?Image
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Apr 15, 2014 05:36

Red, In this particular instance I actually used natural casing in 32 mm. lol. We need to keep in mind that we can't readily push meat ground through a 3/8 inch plate through a 3/8 inch stuffing tube.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 15, 2014 06:40

Ross, when I was a boy, I tried adding water to a batch so it wouldn't be so hard to pull the handle down on the old "horn" stuffer! Holy cow... it took three men and a boy to pull that @#*&!#! thing down! The water made it a little easier but - wouldn't you know it... It took three weeks to dry the danged stuff. By that time, mold had set in and the casings were a mess. The final product had shriveled up into a disgusting trickle of dried (finally) meat! When I chopped it into inch-long pieces, it was perfect sling-shot ammunition for the neighbors mean-ass bulldog! Now, I don't add water at all - other than a tiny bit to make the Cure and spices into a slurry. There's nothing like a vertical, crank, stuffer! :wink: Yup, save the water for yer' Saturday night bath! :lol:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 15, 2014 06:43

Black River ol' pal,
Those are some of the best lookin' snack-stix I've ever seen! They show what a fine sausage maker you've become. Congrats Scott. They are most professional!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ped
User
User

Post by ped » Tue Apr 15, 2014 09:42

Could'nt you Vac Pac them (some if too many) and poach them then they wouldn't dilute?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:50

Hey Black River. I notice that you use PS Seasoning also. Sawhorse Ray does too. I really like that outfit and they are site-friendly to us at WD. They are in our index of suppliers along with all the others in Hyde Park (see the stickies at the top of the page). Anyone want to check them out? Click on this link: http://www.psseasoning.com/
Scott, what did you put into your stix? They sure look tasty. And you sure couldn't find that quality of snackstick at the local mini-mart or service station. Are you going canoeing again? :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Apr 15, 2014 19:22

I've never had a problem or any fear of stuffing into a 32-35mm casing with my vertical stuffer. It's my understanding from reading reviews that pushing the mince thru the smaller tube needed for the 20-22mm sheep casings creates a lot of pressure on the electric motor gears. I could side-step that concern by removing the electric motor and using the hand crank that came with the stuffer but I think that would be rather uncomfortable for me. I feel it's much easier to just use the 1/2" tube that came with the grinder and stuff the sheep casing that way.

Regarding PS Seasonings! I like their stuff and the quick responses I received whenever I had a question about my smoker or their products.. I e-mailed them sometime back to say they were losing a lot of business to their competition with exorbitant shipping prices. They immediately incorporated a change and lowered shipping prices to a flat five dollars on all orders of $50 or more. It's not free but it's certainly a lot more reasonable. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Wed Apr 16, 2014 01:35

Thanks for the compliments Chuckwagon that very nice of you. I used the Willie's snackstick seasoning from PS seasonings. They are very good. I smoked them with a combo of cherry and apple. I am very happy with their seasonings a little pricey but worth it. As Ray said they are always very willing to answer any questions you may have. I stuffed my snack sticks with my vertical 15lb stuffer. My wife did the cranking and it took a very long time. As Ray said it puts a lot of pressure on the unit so we went slower than most would not wanting to ruin the stuffer. I still have my original 5lb northern tool stuffer. I have a 3/8" horn for that and will be trying that for snacksticks next time. I would rather ruin that than my good 15 lb vertical stuffer. We hope to do some canoeing this year snacksticks are always a favorite while canoeing.