water beads on sausage

jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

water beads on sausage

Post by jjnurk » Mon Mar 19, 2018 16:00

In the spirit of perfecting the art, I have noticed on several occassions that there were beads of moisture forming on the sausage after they've been in the smoker for a short period of time. I've observed and tried several methods to eliminate that but haven't really come to any conclusion. I've tried pre-heateding, not heateding, fan turned on/off, smoke no smoke, damper open/closed, etc,etc. The flavour and the presentation of the final product is still quite nice, however I'm not a big fan of seeing the beads of sweat. The only thing that I can come up with is that the temp of the sausage may be a little on the colder side, 10C when putting into the smoker.

Ideas? Solutions?
JjNUrK
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Mar 19, 2018 16:22

jjnurk wrote:the temp of the sausage may be a little on the colder side, 10C when putting into the smoker.
That's the reason! Let the sausage set and dry at room temp for 2-3 hours until it is warmed up and completely dry to the touch. Preheat your smoker with dampers open to eliminate any moisture. Set smoker temp at 45C, no smoke, dampers open and load the sausage. Check after an hour to see whether the sausage is dry and no tears on it. Then give it smoke and turn up the heat.