Sausage stuffing funnel

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Sausage stuffing funnel

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jun 24, 2011 00:53

Last week Nancy and I were applying ourselves to pushing ham sausage into 2.40 inch casings.
This sausage is made with nice chunks of meat bound in an emulsified matrix. It is sticky, gooey, and with inadequate tools one hellofamess. But we made it work and vowed never again without some sort of a proper tool for the job.
Tonight I purchased a 3x2 coupling in PVC and a bushing to reduce to 2 down to 1 1/2 and a 1 1/2 inch tail piece and a 1 1/2 adaptor for PVC to Iron pipe. All from a plumbing source. I have some 3 inch PVC pipe. With some careful application of a pocket knife I was able to slide the tail piece through the adaptor and push the adaptor into the bushing cement it in place. The fit and transition was perfect. Next the bushing was cemented and pushed into the coupling. Tomorrow I will cement a foot of 3 inch PVC pipe into the coupling.
To use this I will make a wooden plug that fits the bore of the pipe and drill several holes in the plug as suction breakers. I will fill the pipe, cover the filling with plastic film and apply the plug with a pusher rod. The holes will allow the plug to be withdrawn leaving the plastic film behind. The casing will be placed over the tail piece. the assembly will be supported by a stand and used vertically.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jun 24, 2011 01:40

Ross, are you going to post photos before or after you take out a patent?
I know everyone on this board would like to see this thing. I'd like to see you mass-produce them and become wealthy enough to purchase your own sausage factory.
Say there pard, would you hire me to sweep up? :roll:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jun 24, 2011 02:11

I guess I will take a picture before I cement to pipe in then one assembled and one with the stand. maybe I will buy some more pieces and detail the assembly. I rather wanted to make it 4 inch but couldn't find the fittings. I can try anouter shop.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jun 25, 2011 05:40

I still don't understand how to post pic's here so you just have to make do with lnks.
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k48 ... ew0004.jpg
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k48 ... ew0005.jpg

I think I figured it out. ;)
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jul 03, 2011 23:26

This is the system.
This is Nancy's hand holding a casing.
This is the results.

This is how the system is stowed
Ross- tightwad home cook
Darthfrog
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Darthfrog » Sun Jul 03, 2011 23:54

That looks exactly like what I was wanting for making Krakowska kielbasa! Make one from PVC plumbing: officer thinking, lieutenant! :smile:

--
Cheers,
Rob
I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jul 04, 2011 00:06

The piston or plunger is maple with an 1 1/4 dowel for a handle. The handle exactly fits the smaller tube. You can see two small holes in the plunger, used with a plastic bag they act as suction breakers so that I can pull the plunger out. The 3 inch section holds enough for about 1 1/2 links as I made them . Those are half a length casings.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jul 04, 2011 05:08

Now that is craftsmanship Ross! Congrats.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jul 04, 2011 05:35

Thanks CW. Total cost is under 10 dollars. 4 inch pipe would require too much push. I have to work on one for smaller tubes.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Jan 02, 2012 16:39

...looks like a great way to stuff the stuff that's left over (the heel) from my horn-style stuffer. There's usually a sausage or two worth of material that gets pan-fried instead of going into casings. This ought to make it easy to utilize.

Thanks for the idea. I'll run right down to the home improvement store.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jan 02, 2012 16:45

When I was a kid we always feed a few slices of bread into the grinder to push out the last of the meat. Remembering that and now when stufiing sausage I feed a couple of handfuls of cooked rice into the grinder. When the rise starts to appear at the casings I stop stuffing and start making meat balls.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Jan 04, 2012 19:02

"...looks like a great way to stuff the stuff that's left over ..."

I made one similar to what was posted, but tried to get tight glued joints rather than use any threaded sections. This way, it is easier to keep clean. Mine worked great- - I stuffed an extra three sausages from the heel of material left in my ol' horn-style stuffer. I had no stomper, and no access to a lathe, so I didn't glue on the top (large diameter) section. Instead, I added just enough meat to fill the thing, then shoved it through with my thumb.

One item: the smallest diameter, 1" O.D. pipe, measured 25.4 mm, but 32 mm casing wouldn't fit over it easily while collapsed like it comes when you buy it. I'm going to file down the leading edge of the pipe to a taper so there will be more clearance, and hopefully keep it smooth enough to keep it clean.

PVC pipe is dishwasher safe, so be sure to wash everything thoroughly and keep it all (including this gadget) clean and safe.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jan 04, 2012 19:52

I made this one for stuffing sausage with large chunks of meat. The outlet tube is 1 1/2inch OD. The casings are 60 mm.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Jan 04, 2012 20:29

Applause for a great idea with many uses. It works for large pieces as well as small. All it lacks is racing stripes. Maybe I'll...

Naah. Thanks for this thing- - a great idea. You wouldn't know where to get a meat stomper to fit the large diameter section, would you? (Looks like you made yours. Nice work.)
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jan 04, 2012 21:23

I made it from a piece of maple. I scribed a circle using a scrap on pipe for size and cut it with a bandsaw and sanded to the line with a belt sander. I drilled a hole to match the handle and glued them together.
Ross- tightwad home cook